在罗伯特饭店 & Jane Weiner 写作中心, all students develop critical thinking skills with a focus on a student-centered, process-driven model necessary for the successful completion of college-level writing. Working closely with faculty members to understand their individual writing assignments, the 写作中心 offers assistance and support for every phase of the writing process. Assistance is available through one-on-one consultations, as well as through the utilization of assistive reading and writing technology.
学生 entering 灯塔的大学 are introduced to assistive technology through the Orientation Program. 除了, the Introduction to Computer Information Systems course demonstrates the assistive technology capabilities of Microsoft Windows and the Office Suite. 学生 in the College Success course research their learning disability and identify ways to compensate for their learning disability through use of assistive technology.
The College provides the required hardware and software to support the latest versions of assistive technology. Examples of high-tech assistive technology available in the 写作中心 and on various workstations throughout campus include:
- 库兹韦尔3000 – Software that aids students in reading by having textbooks and other documents read to them.
- Classmate Reader – A portable text reader that allows students to have various text documents read to them.
- Inspiration – A program that allows students to graphically organize their thoughts to create a structured document.
- Dragon Naturally Speaking – Aids with writing challenges by allowing students to dictate their thoughts.
- Scientific Notebook – Software that aids students in mathematical problem solving.
The 写作中心 also offers students creative opportunities to explore critical thinking in their writing. 写作中心 activities include Television Game Night, which provides an opportunity for students to socialize with peers while engaging in critical thinking through playing games such as 危险, 家庭不和, 幸运之轮, Don’t Forget the Lyrics. 另外, the center holds writing contests in the categories of poetry, 散文, graphic storytelling every semester.
Learn about Beacon’s other 成功的服务 supporting our students!